PHARMACOLOGY ANIMAL FACILITY MANAGER
(3 year contract; Payclass 09)
UCT Research Animal Facility and the Drug Discovery and
Development Centre (H3D)
Faculty of Health Sciences
We seek to attract a suitably qualified and experienced Laboratory Animal Technologist, Veterinary Nurse or Veterinary
Technologist to fill the post of Pre-clinical Pharmacology Animal Facility Manager in the UCT-RAF and the Drug Discovery
and Development Centre, H3D.
The ideal candidate would be registered with the South African Veterinary Council to practice as a Laboratory Animal
Technologist, Veterinary Nurse or Veterinary Technologist with experience working in an animal research environment or
other relevant clinical environment.
The main purpose of this position is to provide H3D with dedicated para-veterinary support, performing para-veterinary
clinical procedures on rodents, management of the animal facility environment and training and supervision of animal
facility staff so as to ensure continued refinement of the animal health and welfare standards of research animals, in order
to comply with ethical, animal welfare and legal requirements for conducting world-class scientific research.
- Registration with the South African Veterinary Council as a Laboratory Animal Technologist, Veterinary Nurse or Veterinary Technologist
- A qualification as a Laboratory Animal Technologist, Veterinary Nurse or Veterinary Technologist
- 3 years para-veterinary experience working in an animal research environment or other relevant clinical environment
- South African drivers’ licence
- Provision of dedicated clinical and para-clinical para-veterinary support and clinical procedures
- Perform facility management functions
- Administration duties and compliance management
- Perform line-management and/or supervision of animal facility staff
- Refine quality of care standards for research animals
- Performance of quality assurance functions and procedures
- Assume para-veterinary on-call or emergency on-call after hours duty including weekends as required
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is between R 374 433 – R 431 859.
(An additional payment for on-call duties applies.)
Please note: the recommended candidate will be required to undergo a pre-placement medical test.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Letter of motivation for the application
- Curriculum vitae (CV), and
- Proof of current registration with the South African Veterinary Council
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the e-mail subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency assessment.
Telephone: 021 650 3003 Website: www.hr.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E19204 Closing date: 24 May 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment
Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.