Senior Scientific Officer (Biology)
5 year fixed term contract
The Drug Discovery and Development Centre (H3D) at the University of Cape Town is seeking a Senior Scientific Officer in bioscience for a laboratory-based position. The primary job role will be to: provide scientific, technical and organizational support as part of an interdisciplinary translational research team discovering and developing innovative, lifesaving medicines. Specifically, this position will support assay development and target identification/mechanism of action experiments in the Drug Discovery Lab at the Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine (IDM). The successful applicant will be required to work with Mycobacterium tuberculosis and other bacterial pathogens. The Senior Scientific Officer will report to a Senior Research Officer in the bioscience group.
The Bioscience group at H3D is housed at the Institute for Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine. Thus, the successful applicant will have access to a dynamic community of basic and translational scientists in addition to the interdisciplinary team at H3D.
- A minimum of a National Technical Diploma in a relevant field plus 3 years laboratory experience
A BSc(Hons) in a relevant discipline plus 2 years relevant laboratory experience.
- Demonstrable knowledge of microbiology/cell biology/molecular biology techniques.
- Experience working in a drug discovery group is preferred.
- Experience working with BSL2 or BSL3 level organisms is preferred.
- conducting a variety of tasks in a drug discovery laboratory requiring specific scientific and technical knowledge in the areas of molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or cell biology;
- investigating the effect of potential drug candidates on infectious pathogens and performing assays to identify the molecular targets of drug candidates;
- performing routine data generation and laboratory activities in support of specific drug discovery projects, management of lab space and equipment,
- working collaboratively with all team and lab members;
- proactively sharing technical expertise with team members and the broader IDM/UCT community as needed.
The current annual cost of employment, including benefits, is between R330 530 and R388 859
Please note that the appointment may be contingent on being certified fit to fulfill the inherent (medical) requirements of the position”.
For any further information, contact Dr Alissa Myrick: Alissa.email@example.com
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- A letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Telephone: 021 650 3003 Website: xxxxxxxxx
Closing date: 13th April 2017 Reference number: xxxx
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.