Head of Bioscience
(Principal Research Officer)
(5 year contract)
Drug Discovery and Development Centre - H3D
Faculty of Science
The Drug Discovery and Development Centre (H3D) at the University of Cape Town (UCT), South Africa is seeking to appoint a Head of Bioscience to lead the bacteriology and parasitology teams. This position will report to the H3D Director and be part of the Leadership Team responsible for overall scientific strategy and scientific governance for H3D. This person will be responsible for bioscience strategy development and execution of the strategy and plans.
- Completion of a PhD in a relevant field or an MD.
- Widely recognized scientific leader, including strong publication record.
- Extensive industry experience working in infectious diseases drug discovery.
- 10+ years’ relevant research experience in industry leading multidisciplinary teams and a track record of delivery of programmes.
Experience with malaria and/or bacterial pathogens, including tuberculosis, will be advantageous.
- As part of the Senior Leadership Team, establish goals and set priorities for research.
- Create and facilitate opportunities for external collaboration and for funding.
- Demonstrate a broad and in-depth understanding of his/her scientific field of responsibility, drug discovery principles and of H3D-wide scientific goals/priorities.
- Oversee and lead all biology efforts including target identification and validation, assay development, development of disease models, etc.
- Lead scientific teams to generate novel and innovative scientific and technical approaches to drive drug discovery.
- Publish and lecture widely at internal/external meetings, provide workshops and trainings on drug discovery to the academic community at UCT; champion/write patent applications and author, review and approve internal reports and presentations.
Remuneration is negotiable and in line with experience.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at email@example.com
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- A letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: 021 650 3003 Website: http://www.h3d.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E17170 Closing date: 15 September 2017
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.